The Thornton Community Band (TCB) established in 2008, a 501(c)(3) organization of 85+ musicians, located in the North Denver Metro area, is seeking a Music Director/Principal Conductor to lead the band at the start of the 2020 season and beyond!
This individual will be responsible for selecting music, conducting the band, and developing the overall musical quality of the group. For further job duties and descriptions, please see the TCB Bylaws, Article 4, available for download at http://www.thorntoncommunityband.org/handbooks-code-of-conduct-and-bylaws/
(For further reading material, please also check out our band handbook and code of conduct found at the same URL!)
All applications must be received by September 30, 2019.
Finalists for the position will be selected and notified by November 30, 2019, with the expectation that they will each conduct an audition piece of their choosing that will relate to the theme of the TCB Winter Concert on February 29, 2020. The final decision of Music Director/Conductor will be announced prior to the Spring concert, May 2020.
The position will officially start on September 1, 2020. Financial compensation will be $500 per month.
Time commitment: TCB rehearses at Adams City High School, Commerce City, on Thursdays from 7 to 9 PM, early September through July 4th. The band performs four major concerts per year, with additional minor concerts spread throughout. The time commitment for each concert is approximately 3.5 hours, usually on a Saturday evening. There are also occasional opportunities for the band, or small groups from the band, to play at paid performances.
A highly-qualified candidate for TCB Music Director/Conductor should have:
- formal education in, and experience with, instrumental music and conducting
- strong leadership qualities
- ability to promote a positive band atmosphere
- capacity to encourage musical growth and enrichment of the band
- ability to assist with resolving conflicts within the band
- good communication skills
- the ability to be able to give direction and relate to band members of all ages and experience levels
- the ability to engage with and relate to the audience
- strong musicality
- substantial knowledge of band literature
- ability to explain to the band what is wanted out of the music that is selected
- accountability on following through with what is expected of the band
- excellent time management skills
- proper preparation for rehearsals
- weekly time commitment
- a commitment to providing enjoyable and quality TCB concerts and band experience!
- a sense of humor and willingness to have fun!
If you would like to be considered for this amazing opportunity to lead one of the top flight community bands in the North Denver Metro region, please click on the “Apply Here” button below!
If there are any technical issues with this page, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.