Call for Entries
Style of Composition:
A Celebratory Fanfare/Overture for The Thornton Community Band’s 10th Anniversary Season. Although not required, special consideration will be given to works that draw inspiration from the City of Thornton or the State of Colorado.
Duration of Composition:
The winning composer will receive a cash prize of $1000 USD, a guaranteed performance at the Thornton Community Band 10th Anniversary Gala Concert on May 12th, 2018 and an audio recording of that performance.
Standard Concert Band Instrumentation
Scores and recordings will be submitted electronically at:
Format of Scores:
PDF. Full Score of the complete work submitted electronically. Hard copy submissions will not be considered. Composer name may appear on the first page of score. Name will be omitted for judging.
MP3 or AAC. Recordings must be labeled with composition title only. Do not include composer name or other identification information.
- Composers of any age who are residents of the USA may submit.
- Candidates must submit a full score of the complete work in PDF format and a virtual instrument rendering in MP3 or ACC file format.
- Submissions must be newly composed works, unperformed and unrecorded.
- Submissions received after January 15, 2018 will not be considered.
- Winning composer must meet the February 28th, 2018 deadline for submitting clean, error-free parts. Failure to do so will result in disqualification.
- The adjudication process will be anonymous. Name and other composer identification will be removed from scores before forwarding to the Judges.
- There will be two rounds of adjudication:
- Preliminary Round: All compositions will be judged by a panel of judges affiliated with the Thornton Community Band, including the Principal Conductor, Assistant Conductor and band members at large. This panel will select up to 10 compositions to be advanced to the Final Round.
- Final Round: The winning composition will be selected from the finalists by a panel of prominent conductors and musicians from Colorado who are not otherwise affiliated with the Thornton Community Band.
The Thornton Community Band reserves the right to choose no winner if none of the compositions meet the standards and expectations of the Judges. The Thornton Community Band also reserves the right to split the cash prize between multiple winners at the discretion of the Judges.
Please fill out our Contest Entry Form when you are ready.